Saturday, January 28, 2006

Online offline

1/28/06 Online on again

I’ve just been searching around the net for different euchre info. I should’ve thought of looking at the Wikipedia first. This is a cool online encyclopedia. If you haven’t seen it, you should check it out for any kind of encyclopedic info you’re looking for. Here’s what they have to say about euchre. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Euchre They also have some additional game resources at the bottom of the entry.

I played online yesterday at Yahoo! It was fun but more challenging than playing live. The pace is much faster. In one hand, I thought I was dealer and ordered up a loner. With the 2 bowers, another trump coming in my hand, and a chance to dump my loser 9 of clubs, things were looking good. Unfortunately, my partner was dealer and the extra trump never came to my hand. I got set, of course. So, on Yahoo! you have to really pay attention to who is dealer.

Playing by yourself with computer robots is tough. The pace goes so fast you don’t know what’s going on. I followed my standard strategy and managed to win a game but it’s really confusing. If you’re just starting out, I’d stay away from these types of games.

A final note about online games. The strategies that I follow are mathematically based and sometimes go against standard conventions. This can really annoy the "know-it-all" players. When I led trump after the opponents ordered it up, my partner was horrified. “Here’s a tip, don’t lead their suit” he tells me. Here’s a tip for him…

Sometimes it’s ok to lead trump when your opponent orders it up.

In future entries, we’ll see why.

Have fun and good eukin’

No comments: