Euchre QOD: “There’s no math in euchre”
Wait all night for Jack
Shows up alone wearing green
He’s nearly worthless
“Lay down loner” – A hand that is so good that it doesn’t matter how you play it you will win all the tricks. The hand consists of 5 trump headed by the two bowers and the Ace. According to Natty, these beauties are pretty rare (1 in 1771).
Euchre Stats & Facts
Did you know?
1. The minimum number of hands to play a complete game of euchre is 3
2. The maximum number of hands to play a complete game is 19.
3. There are 42504 possible euchre hands.
4. The chances of being dealt the top 5 trump cards in any suit are 1 in 10626.
5. The chances of being dealt a lay down loner are 72 in 42504 (1 in 1771)
6. The chances of having at least one Jack in your hand 5 out of every 6 hands
7. The chances of having only one Jack in your hand 5 out of every 11 hands.
Euchre on the Web
Update from yesterday. In yesterday’s entry I said I had no idea what was meant by “Hoyle Theory”. Well, the Euchre Universe faithful responded and enlightened me. Thanks Harv. Be sure to check out his excellent euchre site. The Hoyle Theory is a strategy in which you call the Next suit if you are sitting in seat 1. We discussed this previously.